Ramadhan 2013 in Indonesia

[Jakarta, July 2013]

A very late posting of Ramadhan month in Indonesia.


The last month of my three months break was spent in Indonesia. I arrived in Jakarta just two nights before fasting month started. I spent most of my days catching up with my family and making time for family anniversaries and cooking at home. I noticed being home always brings me to a new adventure, no matter how long or short they last, there are still new experiences and though they're not always peachy, I can't deny that the bitterness of the adventures I get from time to time always give me the most important lessons in life.

There was a garage sale some Jakarta friends put together on the first weekend since I was back and I joined in last minute. It took place at a very nice Javanese pavilion not too far from my house, owned by this gorgeous gemini friend of mine (who's also, by the way, the owner of a very chic local clothing line Cotton Ink). Setting up our stalls took a little longer than I thought. I had two days of fun at the garage sale, it was sort of a reunion with my favourite people in town too. And on top of that, I went home with some extra cash and to a bigger closet space. It's always good to get rid of things I no longer use.

In between grandparent's anniversary and my parents anniversary, there were also seeing babies growing up to speaking, screaming children, far cousins I've known for so long but never had the chance to watch them become little beings with ideas and firecrackers in their hands, hoping to be bigger. In my heart I said, 'just you wait darling, you will be bigger and the world will seem smaller in your arms'. My family brought over a cheesecake and there were lots of home cooked food that of course were my grandparents'.

The same night after a family gathering I went to see some musician friends perform at a bus terminal turned to an outdoor concert venue. It's been years since I first saw them perform at a local bar and they still amaze me just as much. Jakarta was just like in movie scenes that very moment. Satay stall smokes and cheap motorbikes and brown skinned people were flooding the space, and a car pulled over to pick me up and drive me home. Amidst the crowd, a person I haven't seen yet I have loved for years stepped out of the car and I caught his eyes, catching mine. He smiled, I approached him and got to his car. And just like that I melted along with the beauty of a rare find I've held for the longest time. The rest of the night was just about driving home but time had never felt more precious. There was a full moon expedition the next day. But this is a story for another day.

On my parents' 24th anniversary, the house was empty. Our maids had gone home for Idhul Fitri celebration which was coming up, my younger brother was still in Coventry, the house was quiet. I decided to cook my parents a nice dinner and prepared them nice desserts. It's nice to spoil my parents like that. They will always prefer my cooking instead of eating out, and I was glad I had improved my cooking and tried more recipes for the past few months. They devoured some lamb chops and licked clean the strawberry sauce off my pavlova platter, I was satisfied.

One evening I invited my good friends over for dinner and I made them nice roasted chicken with all the delicious things on the table they can munch on endlessly. Coming home would never really feel like coming home if I don't have a doze of dinner like this with them, full of laughter, harmless inside jokes and exchanging ideas. The thing I love the most about spending times with my favourite people is that laughter and conversations don't slow down even when our bellies are full and our backs are attached to the cushions.

I went on a road trip to Bandung on the last weekend to see my big brother perform with his main band for the first time. Being in Bandung always feels like home. It is my second home after all. People are nicer there and the city is almost always smiling. I managed to see the old faces I've been missing, though briefly, it was better than not seeing them at all. I had two friends with me from Jakarta who were willing to drive me to Bandung and back. We stayed overnight, me at my cousin's place and them two at their friends'. We met up again in the morning to go back to Jakarta. Goodbyes are always bittersweet with Bandung. But I knew I will be back soon.


L1003196 copy
• Father snacking at my Grandma's house •
DSC_1124
• Thrives Motorcycle, looking a lot more alive than ever •
DSC_1128
DSC_1130
DSC_1125
DSC_1095 copy
• Pandora Box garage sale •
DSC_1092 copy
DSC_1110 copy
DSC_1096 copy
DSC_1097 copy
DSC_1101 copy
DSC_1103 copy
• Fun weekend at the garage sale •
DSC_1119 copy
DSC_1369
DSC_1374 copy
• Bandung trip, yet again •
DSC_1387
DSC_1364
• The bittersweetness of Bandung always makes the best object to photograph•
DSC_1415
• Ragusa craving •
DSC_1319
• Grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary •
DSC_1326 copy
• Blowing candles and making wishes in prayers •
DSC_1154
• A baby cousin I just met •
DSC_1315
DSC_1179
• Cousins playing firecrackers •
DSC_1182
DSC_1187 copy
DSC_1201
DSC_1217
DSC_1205 copy
DSC_1238
• Musician friends I never get bored of listening to • 
DSC_1246
DSC_1261 copy
• On a full moon expedition •
DSC_1276 copy
• Tacos takeaway for snacking •
DSC_1269 copy
DSC_1300 copy
• Getting intimate with the universe beyond our vision, gotta love Sky Safari •
DSC_1309 copy
• Moon mate •
L1003206 copy
frame 2 x cookin
L1003224
L1003208
L1003232
• Cooking for my parents on their 24th wedding anniversary •
lambc
• Mom waiting for the lamb chops to be served in a bed of rocket salad, me finishing up the lamb chops •
L1003449
• Taking pictures of the food excessively •
dadlambchop
pavlovabak
pavlova
• Soft-baked pavlovas for dessert •
L1003291 copy
• My parents are such a happy couple •
DSC_1421 copy
• Home cooked dinner with my beloved friends that one night on my last week in Jakarta •

No comments: